Friday, March 14, 2008

Everest 2008 - NOT

So what just happened? OMG. A migraine headache, some sleepless nights and plenty of emails and phone calls, that's what. I feel like that guy, you know, to the right.

I was going to return to the north side with Himalayan Experience, aka Himex (yes, that is the team that was filmed on Discovery Channel but we were not going to be filmed this year). But just two weeks prior to departure, the Chinese closed Everest to climbers this season because of the Olympic torch carrying event. BTW was that even shown on television during the Olympics?

The first notice sent to expedition leaders looked like this:



I know it's too small to read so I'll make it easier. That notice combined with subsequent communication can be summed up as follows:

March 10, 2008

Dear Clients:


You cannot climb Mount Everest in Tibet this year.
Sorry.
Go find another mountain to climb.

China Tibet Mountaineering Association

One team member, David Tait, who has already reached the summit from the north twice with Himex and who would be climbing without using supplemental oxygen this year, opted to climb from the south (Nepal) with a Swiss team. Unfortunately, his attempt was soon aborted.

The rest of our team decided to postpone to 2009. It is very disappointing (I cried, I admit it, and then I got over it) but there are just too many uncertainties. This endeavor is riddled with uncertainties as it is. In the meantime, I will do some other climbing.



Many thanks to Russell Brice, whose leadership allowed us to make a difficult decision as a team.
I'm now looking forward to joining his 2009 Everest team and all that comes with that - another year of training, wondering if the mountain will be closed again next year, worrying about breaking a bone or pulling a muscle, continuing to work as a contractor to allow time for Everest (and once again putting off regular employment), wondering if I should risk skiing anyway, opting for a run over a movie, opting for water over wine, whining about that, booking hotels for business travel based on gym quality, and pigging out on donuts, ice cream and beer next Feb/March to gain weight.

Incidentally, that diet is fine before leaving for Everest, when you know you will soon lose more weight than that gained. Kind of a bummer when the Chinese close the mountain after you've put on the pounds and developed a taste for everything sugary.


Update

If you are curious about events on Everest this season, the Chinese team did reach the summit with the Olympic torch via the north side on May 8.

While I was shopping for a new dress, watching American Idol and squinting at spreadsheets, climbers on the Nepal side of Everest were finally allowed to ascend the mountain after having to stay at or below Base Camp from May 1 until the Chinese reached the summit. Several climbers summited Everest beginning May 20. Lucky dawgs.

In attempting a mountain like Everest, some of the biggest challenges happen before boarding the plane to Kathmandu, if you get that far, so it's important, and sometimes difficult, to stay positive and focused.

The support that I have received since returning from Everest last season has been overwhelming. My parents and sister were waiting for me at SFO without even a phone call. I heard from people I hadn’t seen in years. I was asked to show slides to various organizations. I felt like a rock star.

I thought, “Do they know I didn’t summit?”

Thank you to so many people for your support, contributions, enthusiasm, and encouragement! I know I'm no Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner and that my vacation on Everest is not the most important thing going on in the world, but it sure does stir up a lot of interest!

This endeavor has shown me that I am surrounded by people who love a good adventure. Thank you. Thank you.

THANK YOU!!

Next year...