Thursday, December 16, 2010

From Punta Arenas to Union Glacier

Follow Our Climb - Alpine Ascents Cybercast

If you haven´t already checked, Brien Sheedy left a couple of updates on the Alpine Ascents cybercast. Gregor and I were sitting right there with Brien as he wrote some crazy story about how I insisted on going to the bar after a hard day of shopping. I´m not sure where that came from. (ooh, actually I see it hasn´t posted yet).

It´s been an unusually quick couple of days in that we are now waiting to be picked up by ALE and driven to our plane to fly to Union Glacier. Climbers sometimes wait several days before the weather is clear enough for this flight.

Yesterday we had a briefing by ALE and got a look at all the other Vinson climbers and South Pole skiiers. There´s a large group of Koreans who are jet skiing to the Pole. There´s a guy named Richard Park who is attempting to do the Seven Summits and both Poles in Seven months (Peaks and Poles). This is the first climb of his journey. Based on his accent, I think he´s from the UK.

It´s about a five hour flight to Union Glacier. We´re all dressed and ready for extremely cold weather. Gregor and I are hoping our luck with the weather continues but it´s more cautious optimism because we know it can change in the blink of an eye.

Check out the cybercasts from Alpine Ascents from now on and enjoy the adventure.

PS I just did spell check and remembered I am in Chile.

2 comments:

  1. Megan - CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a great Christmas present. Can't wait to hear about it first hand. Only two more to go!

    Owen & Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, just thinking about you and wishing you well. Looking forward to seeing you in the New Year!

    Love you,
    Vina, Tom, Olivia and Emma

    ReplyDelete