I just got off the phone with my MOM (and Dad). It's Mother's Day! At Everest Base Camp, many of us are thinking of our Mothers. As my sister, Paula, says, "If it isn't one thing, it's your Mother!"
MOM, please stop worrying about me! (I know it's what you do, no matter what)
My Dad is faithfully reading Billi's blog (along with my exceptional blog, so full of information and photos!). When I told him I haven't had the energy to spend time on the computer, he said I don't have to write anything, only a daily post that I'm doing okay. I will try to post more often and I'll let Billi know the pressure is on! (I've already told her).
So here's another post to say I'M DOING FINE!
We are resting at Everest Base Camp, reading books, watching movies, playing cards, eating constantly, playing Scalextric and drinking afternoon beers. Everyday is still a bad hair day but we are having fun.
The hard work acclimatizing is done and the waiting game has begun. We have climbed as high as we will go without oxygen. Now we are waiting for the "weather window," when we can go for our summit push. It will be several days, so patience is key right now. As I sit in the White Pod looking around, it doesn't appear that anyone is suffering from impatience.
One of our team members, David Tait (see his blog http://www.davidtait.com/) has already reached the summit. I shouted congrats to David through my tent at camp 3, not realizing I wouldn't see him again. By the time I got back to BC, he was already gone!
So now we are all here at BC, resting. This rest time is giving my muscle time to recover. I am definitely improving and as I told my parents, I don't write about the tough stuff so they will worry - it's just what happens up here. Climbers all over this mountain have colds and coughs, altitude sickness, and all sorts of maladies. Many have left for home. Despite the tough environment, it seems our team is getting healthier and stronger. ME included.
What I enjoy most about this group is the international mix. The only complaint I have is several of the guys are suddenly into doing "Arnold" impersonations. I'm not sure where this came from but I hear enough of that in California! Kind of strange hearing it at Everest Base Camp.
Eugene, the saucisson was magnificent! You didn't want me to share it, did you? (kidding)
I bought an Amazon Kindle before leaving. It is great for mountaineering expeditions or any kind of traveling. The battery lasts for weeks, it's light and can store thousands of books. Having said that, the Kindle store did not have Kitchen Confidential, the book I am currently reading (borrowed from another climber). I did read The Book Thief (enjoyed it -thanks to Molly's friends).
I can hear the Beach Boys playing. Someone needs to change the music. It is snowing like crazy outside.
Love to family - Mom, Dad, Burke, Sandy, Mark, Paula, Will, Ronan, Mickey, Liza, Becky, Jim, Seamus, Fintan, Emily, Anthony, Dominic, Lucy, Brian, MaryLee, Sean, Marisa, Ryan, Katya, Colin, Kevin, Sue, Ashley, Shannon, Caroline, Molly, Pete, Allie, Kelly, Katie, Dan, Alexis, Chloe, James, Helen and Peggy. Did I get everyone? Misspellings? I took a big risk. This was an altitude test. It felt good to just write your names. Miss you!
Megan
Meegan,
ReplyDeleteWe are all glad that hear you are getting the time to heal before you summit. We are sure that you are going to do it just fine and the extra rest will make it less eventful getting to the top.
For those on the edge of their seat like we are and need daily updates go to http://www.alanarnette.com/alan/everest2009.php and scroll down to the 2009 climbers links. This links to most of the blogs on the mountain right now.
We are all watching you Meg and am amazed by your strength and courage.
Big hugs,
Kelly, Krista, Jess, Matt and Madeline
Hi, Missy Meg. This "outsider" would also appreciate a daily post, so thank you. Did Mom mention how great Brian was in the recent club show? I think it was videoed/videod - now that's a low-altitude spelling test.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Sally Meakin
Great weather back here at home so summit and hurry back. I am looking for a cycling partner.
ReplyDeleteTim, Dean and John say hello and good luck!
All the best
Larry
Glad you are feeling better and getting some rest! Take some antibiotics, will ya...just in case! Plus, it supports the pharma industry ;)
ReplyDeleteStay warm (if that's even possible) and be safe! Hope the weather opens up for your bid (wow...even getting the lingo down!)
Best,
Mary Margaret
We all toasted our significant mother on mom's day and were missing you.
ReplyDeleteWe know you are fine and good. Thanks for the posts. I always look forward to reading them.
I think though that you took that nun's heartfelt encouragement too literally - Climb every mountain was a METAPHOR!
Can't wait to see you again in this hemisphere.
Love, Paula
I thought only Jewish mothers inspired daily calls to let them know we're OK.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are doing better and reading one of my favorite books! You'll never eat fish in a restaurant on Mondays now. Be sure to read his other books...
Best of luck in the next few days. I'll be avidly checking all the blogs to see what's going on.
Take care.
Lisa.
Hola Megan! I figured the time was about right to check in with you and send my best wishes for the summit push! Glad to hear you are healthy and ready to go, and I look forward to the next post. Enjoy that climb, and come home safely!
ReplyDeleteLots of love, Chris
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteBurke has been fishing the Big Horn river in Wyoming all week and is now in Sheridan doing the Leather Crafter's show. He caught lots of trout inspite of 50 mile an hour winds, how do you cast in the wind???? Anyway, we did the studio tour here last weekend, record numbers, 200 people on Saturday and 220 on Sunday. No wonder Burke went to Wyoming, this place was a mad house!
Still waiting to see some photos....glad to hear you are healing. We are thinking of you a lot, and love reading your posts. Sandy
Hi Meg! Glad you are doing well and resting! Sounds like you are having so much fun resting! Looking forward to you reaching the top! We will have to celebrate when you return home. Take care! Love you lots, Vina
ReplyDeleteShmeg,
ReplyDeleteI enjoy telling people that my aunt is at mount everest. I would enjoy it even more to tell people that she has summited and is back in the states! So git up that there mountain and git back to ye olde ranche already, ya hear? Love you and gooooood luck,
Kelly