Hopefully many of you have been checking in on others' blogs. There are some very sophisticated bloggers on this team, sending daily photos and videos, etc... I'm not so diligent - sorry for my obvious lack of photos. I'm lazy.
So if you've been reading the other blogs and seeing those photos, you know more about what is happening on this mountain than I do. You also know that we have a pretty nice camp here. We are not at Pumori. Instead we are a leisurely 20 minute walk up from the regular base camp, just off the trail. And it is pretty nice here at Club Himex with the white pod and blue cheese and crackers for the afternoon. I strolled up to the regular base camp yesterday and was thankful for our nice spacious camp. Despite what you've read, Everest is a place where one can catch up on sleep and read good books.
A couple of days ago I hiked up Kala Pattar with fellow climber, Jim. We both wanted to return to the place that launched our interests in mountain climbing. For me, it was 10 years ago and for Jim, 5. We took our time and completed the round trip in 5 hours. The views were clear and the weather beautiful, so I got lots of nice shots. Thank you, Big Jim for a wonderful day.
Today we practiced some ice climbing and rappelling. I didn't feel too good after coughing for hours last night and pulling the left muscle in my chest (or whatever that is that makes it hurt to cough and breathe hard). We were filmed and photographed. Some of the guys have been taking photos of the model release we had to sign for Billi - never signed a model release before! I haven't showered in a week, I'm feeling weak and I look like hell but I managed to smile for the camera. We actually had a fun time. Always nice when the sun is out and we're nice and warm.
Rather than acclimatize in the dreaded Icefall, we are climbing another mountain - Lobuche. We are going in groups and I am in the third group that consists of (1) the Japanese climbers and guides, (2) climbers who have been sick (me), and (3) climbers who joined us late. Group 3 includes our entire group of 6 women (3 Everest climbers, 1 Lhotse climber, filmer and doctor). So yesterday, Team Testosterone I left for Lobuche and today Team Testosterone II took off. Team Estrogen and the rest leave tomorrow. We will walk to our Lobuche base camp, climb to camp 1, climb to the summit and descend, and then walk back to Everest base camp the following day.
Then we will do it again but sleep on the 6,100 meter summit. The plan is to prepare for our first trip through the Icefall and ascent to Everest camp 2.
So that is the plan. I give myself a half hour to spill as much info as I can - this post is more like a twitter, all off the top of my head. Now I am going to return to the hot whiskey I was given as I walked into the computer room.
I'll send another post when I return from Lobuche. Also, I may not respond to comments but I do read them and I do appreciate them!
Cheers.
Am reading your posts every time they appear.
ReplyDeleteSorry you've been so sick but at least it sounds like you've got a good place to get well. So hard to imagine how far away you are. So amazing. Wish I had your spirit and drive.
Keep drinking that hot whiskey.
Love, Paula
So Megan, you need to get your mug in front of the cameras of those who are actually posting photos! I need proof that my sister is actually up there!
ReplyDeleteGet well, be strong, and thanks for the updates.
Love, Molly
Meg, I am glad to hear that you are drinking the whiskey! It will help you get better. I look forward to reading more posts. Be safe, get rest and have fun!! Love ya, Vin
ReplyDeleteMollie. Watching you and pulling for you all the way to the top. Fond memories as we with daughter Ann and the Meakens went as far as Thangboche. Never forget that climb - with a cold - to Namche Bazaar.
ReplyDeleteMargot and David Cookson
Go Team Estrogen!
ReplyDeleteMeg,
ReplyDeleteI gotta be honest, this gets me pumped. It's been a long day and knowing that on the other side of the world my aunt is climbing Everest has brightened my day. Thanks for sending such great updates. It may feel like a twitter to you but it's great reading for someone sitting at a desk all day.
Love, Ryan
I hope you're feeling better by now. Keep eating and drinking as much as possible. You want to look healthy for the camera when you summit (even though you will be covered from head to foot in gear, you know what I mean.)
Enjoy the Whiskey and keep the posts coming.
Hi Megan
ReplyDeleteClorox Tax wishes you the very best and we all hope you're feeling better soon. Thanks for keeping us updated on your great adventure.
Dave
Hi Megan!!! I love your blog! I miss you and hope all is well at BC. I am thinking of you and I hope you are feeling better :)
ReplyDeleteYour roommie :)
Katie
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better. I am looking forward to more updates. I just started looking yesterday.
Cheer, Joe
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeletewe send love and best wishes from Germany... beat that thing called 'a cold' and go all the way to the top...
Rosalina & Herbie
Hey Meg!
ReplyDeleteJust thinking of you & cheering you on from a more comfortable elevation. Miss you!!
-Sharon
Meg,
ReplyDeleteDad said you called at 7:30 this morning. The first thing Sandy and I said, and I'm sure dad thought, was "is everything OK"? Glad to hear it is. Still can't get used to emails and calls coming from Everest. Have fun, stay healthy, and hope for good weather and good luck!
Burke & Sandy
Meg ---not Mollie. I should read what I type before pushing "send"
ReplyDeleteOh well. Hi to Mollie also.
Hi Megan - have you hooked up with Shammalammadingdong? Meg and I are checking how the globe (seeing where you are) and loving your blog!
ReplyDeleteTake care and remember slow and steady takes the cake!! Go Team Estrogen!
Maureen & Meg
Hey Meg,
ReplyDeleteSo great to read your blogs and about your adventure. I hope you are feeling better now. I just wanted to tell you that I'm so proud to know you and be one of your friends. You are awesome. Get more rest, whiskey & Oxygen!
Love ya, Gail Z
Go team estrogen!
ReplyDeleteEileen Delehanty
Congrats Megan!
ReplyDeleteI await your return with a great bottle of champagne or your choice of wine out of my cellar in hand.
My new puppy Baxter will join us.
All the best and safe journey home.
Larry
PS
I knew you would make it.
Way to go Everest!! We knew you had it in you to reach the top. This morning the "10 o'clocks" cheered you and your great accomplishment.
ReplyDeletecongrats!!
Anne (anwthne)