These are the days when I ask myself, "Why can't I be a Club Med person?"
"What's wrong with golf? Or Hawaii?"
After a fabulous day yesterday, I woke up this morning feeling very nauseated. I slept soundly through the night, breathing through a balaclava to keep the cold dry air out and moisture in, and because of the cold, I probably had my tent zipped up a little too tight. I wasn't breathing enough oxygen. Combine this with extreme congestion and an inability to cough because of the pain in my chest when I do so... and you get nausea. Not fun.
Monika came by after noticing my absence at bfast. My oxygen stat is not bad - 88% - but my blood pressure is through the roof. I'm normally at the lower end of normal so it was interesting to see 110 over 70 turn to 170 over 110 in altitude! This is not unusual.
Russ came by and told me by tomorrow I'll be strong enough to go to the summit with the Sherpas. I asked him what time they would be leaving.
Today we had our Puja Ceremony. I wrote a little bit about the Puja in the link at right called, "Mount Everest." We all gathered around from about 10am to 11:30. I wasn't going to miss it, no matter how bad I felt.
Someone mentioned it is Easter Sunday! So Happy Easter everyone! Sorry I seem to keep writing about my woes up here but it really is not so bad. I'm being looked after and I know I'll feel fine tomorrow.
The most humorous part of the day was being interviewed by Kirsty of the film crew, who is also suffering from this cold. She very nicely asked me if I wouldn't mind being interviewed while I was feeling bad. I figured if she could do her job filming and interviewing (with a cold) then I could sit for 5 minutes and talk about how I was feeling.
Tomorrow I hope to join the trekkers on their hike to Kala Pattar. They are a great bunch, particularly Katie, who I roommed with during our trek, and I want to see them off (they are leaving). My home page on my website has a photo of Everest I took on Kala Pattar 10 years ago. It is so incredible to be back here.
Happy Easter! Love love love....
Megan
You rock Megan! I think It's expected to feel a little bad up that high, so it sounds like you are doing ok.I know you'll be safe and smart but I also know if at all possible you will be on top of the world.Take some great pics!
ReplyDeleteMike
Hey Megan - I have a question about APB 23....haha just kidding. Just checking out this blog. Very exciting stuff! Good luck on the the rest of the way!
ReplyDeleteEd
Megan,
ReplyDeleteWhat no Easter egg hunt on Sunday? Good luck on your climb.
Will Fratt (friend of Dan's)
PS
How many people are at Base Camp? My guess is that it is a mini UN.
You go girl!
ReplyDeleteSorry you are feeling so bad.
Been watching your progress but not saying much.
Good luck---you will summit!
Best Larry
I can not believe that my little Megan now climbing Everest. I always knew that you where going far, but that far. You are fab ,I'm so proud of you.Good luck with the climb and please be safe. Much love your former nanny Ia
ReplyDelete