More importantly, I am here. It was not easy. I had stomach and back cramps, a fever, a cough, all from this wonderful cold I keep trying to forget about. I ruptured something in my chest from all the coughing so now it hurts to cough or breathe hard. Swell. Someone told me if I stop coughing it should heal in 2 days. Oh the joy of living in altitude!
Now for the good stuff. I actually am acclimatizing well and have a great appetite, which is always a concern of mine in altitude. The walk up here was beautiful. I followed Eugene from Lobuche base camp at a perfectly slow and steady pace. We got spectacular views of Everest and were rewarded by Sherpas serving hot tea along the way.
Himex has both a Lobuche and Everest base camp - we plan on climbing Lobuche as part of our training and acclimatizing for Everest. It is quite an operation with all these climbers.
What is it like here at base camp? Pretty darn big and organized. We each have our own 3-person tent, home for the next several weeks. There are 2 shower/toilet tents. We ladies have our own special place to pee, although I just go in my tent into my own pee bottle. Sorry if this is too much info for some of you but I am frequently asked how basic bodily functions are done up here.
Himex is well known for the White Pod, an enormous tent with a big screen tv and bar. We can order soft drinks or beer/wine. Pretty luxurious. We eat 3 huge meals a day. This morning we had bacon, beans (yes beans for bfast - loved them), eggs and toast. For lunch it was cole slaw, fries, tortillas and hammy spam. Some of you know how much I love spam but this is not so bad. Yesterday Eugene shared his French salami with the people fortunate to be sitting in the same tent with him... we combined that with a big plate of blue cheese. I thought I was in heaven. The simplest things can make you SO happy up here!
The temp has been freezing cold at night and 80 F during the day inside my tent. I generally am outside the tent, chatting with others in one of the dining tents or sitting in the white pod. Today I washed my hair and some clothes.
So that's life here at BC - we have all been ordered to rest rest rest and I am following orders. Since I've had this cold, I keep thinking what Mom would be telling me to do and that is rest rest rest. So don't worry, Mom, I am doing just that and I am feeling SO much better than just a few days ago.
Love and hugs to everyone back home. Miss you lots.
Megan
Megan,
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter! We have been tracking your progress and cannot wait to catch up after your adventure for a beer or glass of wine to hear all about it in person. Thanks for sharing and Good Luck. Owen threatens to quit each time he reads one of your blogs--- you are his hero!
Go Meg! Enjoy the comforts, get fat and healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new outfit on the summit! Molly
ReplyDelete