I realize it's been a REALLY long time since I last sent a post. This will be long.
Once again, I encourage you to visit some of the blogs of my team members. There are links in this blog and you can visit the himex site for more information. There are some dedicated, bordering on fanatical, bloggers in this group. Some notable blogs are Billi Bierling's (she is a journalist and is writing about the expedition in general - logistics and interesting info) and Lance Fox's.
My blog is just about little ol' me. We have an understanding here that bloggers write about themselves and the expedition in general and not about others (except for my endorsements of other blogs and other little tidbits).
Now I'll fill you in on my last week here.
As mentioned, our plan has been to climb Lobuche peak - roughly 6100 meters, 20,200 feet - twice to acclimatize. I was on my way when I last wrote. The problem with my plan in particular was the 2 nights before leaving I had a 3 hour coughing fit in my tent. The next morning I started feeling that familiar pain of a pulled muscle in my chest. It got worse as we practiced climbing and rappelling in the icefall. That night I couldn't watch the movie (we have movies here - it's crazy) because leaning back in the comfy lounge chair made me uncomfortable and instead I had to sit up. That's a waste of a good chair. The next morning when I set off toward Lobuche base camp I knew something was not right. The pain in my chest was worse and it made me feel fatigued.
Within about an hour of the walk down, I used my arms to pull up over a boulder. That was when a sword dug through my chest. The pain was so intense and unexpected, I burst into tears. From then on, every step hurt. There was that spiked golf ball residing in my chest again!
At Lobuche base camp, Monica gave me a strong anti-inflammatory and we both agreed I would not ascend Lobuche with the group the following day. I had no choice really. I ended up spending the next 4 nights at Lobuche base camp watching the three teams ascend, descend and return to Everest base camp. I admit I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, even though the massive pain subsided within a day after taking a very strong anti-inflammatory. Then Russ radio'd down to ask me how I was feeling and to see if I could go up with the trekkers the next day. The plan was for me to climb with the trekkers but stay at top to camp with the first group, returning for their second Lobuche climb. The difference this time was that we would camp for a night just below the summit!
So that's what I did. We went to camp 1 the first day and at 5:50 am the next morning we set off for the summit. I initially climbed with the trekkers but at some point I decided to move a little faster. The two Sherpas had to stay with the trekkers so I ended up climbing to the summit by myself. The weather was spectacular and the climb very tough in parts. Although I made a few mistakes (Nima, one of the Sherpas, was yelling at me from below to move way left because I'd gotten off track and could not find the ropes the Sherpas fixed for us), I enjoyed climbing alone and going at my own pace. Eventually I made it to our high camp, just below the summit. Phurba and the Sherpas were digging platforms and setting up tents. I was surprised to see them because my altimeter said I had about 800 feet to go. By 10:05 am I was standing on the summit. It was a huge relief for me to make it up there in good time.
I was such a knucklehead though. Rather than drop my backpack off at the camp, I wore it to the summit. When I reached the summit, I tried to radio Russ but could not get the radio to work. Then I realized I was alone and could not get a good summit photo. Didn't matter because after only 2 shots, my CF card was full. For someone so obsessed with photographing my adventures, I dropped the ball bigtime on Lobuche. The view was so amazing! See other blogs for photos.
When I returned to our high camp, Phurba checked my radio and told me I needed to turn up the volume. Duh.
The first group trickled in during the afternoon and everyone was very impressed with our camp. Phurba and the Sherpas did a spectacular job, as usual.
So my first attempt at Lobuche may have been aborted (Nobuche) but I did get to go up eventually and sleep at high camp.
We descended back to Lobuche base the next morning and returned to Everest base camp that afternoon, in time to share a couple of beers in the white pod.
I could write on and on about this whole coughing fit chest intercostal muscle tear thing - needing to recover but also needing to climb and acclimatize - but I feel as if everyone is sick of hearing about it! This is Everest (I know), it's an 8,000 meter peak (yes, got that), and I need to toughen up (whatever). The cold and cough are now gone. I just need the tightness in my chest to GO AWAY! How's that?
So let's move on.... I was thrilled to get back in time to call my parents and wish them a happy 61st wedding anniversary and my Mom a happy 83rd birthday! Sorry to wake you up but you are never home at night and I figured I could catch you in the morning.
The plan going forward is to start climbing Everest. I think Lobuche was a great peak to climb to prepare for Everest and avoid spending so much time in the Icefall with all the other climbers. For the most part, we had Lobuche to ourselves. But I know everyone is anxious to get onto the mountain we came here to climb.
The food here has been awesome. Really. I am not having an ounce of trouble with my appetite. I eat better here than I do at home. But I have lost a few pounds. It's amazing what altitude does!
Russ calls me Meeegan. He could call me whatever he wants because he's the guy in charge. What bugs me is that now some of the other climbers are calling me Meeegan!
So that's what's been going on this past week and why I haven't emailed. I was away for 6 nights.
Two people have now asked to use the computer and I'm running out of things to say.
I'll write again later when I have more news!
Meeegan So great you made it on Luboche and are feeling more up
ReplyDeleteto speed. Go for it David C
Glad you are feeling better, Meg, and made it up to Lobuche. Can't wait to keep tracking your progress. Good luck on the big one!
ReplyDeleteRuss' 'Meegan' reminds of the time that someone was calling your name and kept saying "Meegan, Meegan, Meegan" in a high winy voice...
Lisa.
Hey Meg,
ReplyDeleteWay to work through the pain and get better! It is awesome to see how great you are doing up there. But try not to get lost on the way up the big one!
Kelly, Krista, Jess, Maddie and Mattman
Go Meeegan! We miss you
ReplyDeleteMeg, You can complain all you want about your chest hurting, I am just sitting here reading your blog and living my life vicariously through yours! I am so proud of you! Now, go climb that little old mountain, will ya! Be safe, my friend. Love you, Vin
ReplyDeleteHey Meeegan! Good to hear from you...so happy you are feeling better. Keep up the good work; I'm thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Katie
Meegan!
ReplyDeleteGreat work on Lobuche...keep it up...look forward
to seeing the news of you on top of Everest soon!
fisher & i are pulling for ya,
dave m
Hi Megan. Just wanted to thank-you for the post. You don't sound like you're complaining, just being honest about how hard it really is being at high altitude. The macho guys would never confess it:) I have finally stumbled on your site, so I will be following your blogs as you climb Everest. Here's wishing you good health. Vivian
ReplyDelete